Saturday, 30 August 2014

Room Escape

So today I tried something new - omg I'm finally doing something which is not violin/TV/reading/hanging out/moping.


We bought this deal to celebrate Stan's and Barbs' birthdays. Basically it's kinda like Saw without the dead body and violence. We're locked into a room and have to figure a way out based on clues in the room.

Also kinda like 追踪 from my scout days where as juniors we had to follow a mix of clues and trails to complete missions - and as seniors where we prepared the trails.

Escape Club is run by a group of Chinese - first generation migrants or international students, judging from their accents - in a rundown-looking apartment above some shops in Kingsford, near UNSW. It's kinda brilliant because the dowdiness of the setting can be interpreted as part of the experience, and not just, you know, dowdy.

There are a few options - Virus, Prison Break, The Curse of Hogwarts, Target and Chimera. I chose Virus because our group decided to stick to either Virus or Prison Break and Prison Break sounded too physical for me.

I heard screams in the waiting area. Uh-oh.

Basically the Virus layout has 2 rooms - a kitchen (aka Lab) and a living room (aka Dr D's living room). To be an FBI agent stuck in the Lab, one must not be


  • above 80kg
  • wearing a short skirt
  • stupid

Our facilitator actually said 'the lab is for smart people'. Ouch and hahaha. (I was in the Lab). Before the game we were issued Role Cards to tell us what our roles are - Dr D, Assistant A, FBI Agents, Suicide Bomber. I was a suicide bomber.

So 5 of us was locked in the lab, where we found a locked mini treasure chest and had to figure out the PIN based on the clues. If you're stuck, you can either ask the FBI agents in the living room through a hole in a door/ask them to use the walkie talkie to ask the facilitator (2 questions)/wait for the facilitator to give you the answer when time is running out (the game is approx. 75 minutes).

We managed to make our way out into the living room and complete the mission - and I have the bruise to show for it. It was fun, though too much math was involved.

And then everybody went to yum cha while I bought a couple of glutinous rice with chicken snacks (v delicious) from an Indonesian mart and went home because I have a cold and don't want to pass it to my friends like I did to my manager hahaha.

Good night! I need to sleep early because I'm gonna wake at 5am tomorrow to throw a batch of laundry into the washing machine before anybody gets to the machine. Or the limited drying lines. For tomorrow will be the first sunny day since I got home!

No comments: