Thursday, 25 February 2016

networking

Last night I went to Contact Singapore's Work-in-Singapore x Malaysians in Sydney Meetup, where I learned that

1. the Singapore gahmen is dead serious about luring MNCs and the required talent to Singapore
2. my skills are not in demand in Sg
3. my conversational skills are really ~!@#

The event was supposed to start at 6pm.

Being Malaysian, I arrived at 6:05pm.

Being even more Malaysian, everybody else arrived at 7pm.

For almost an hour I was the only attendee. ((facepalm

So I talked to the organizers.

Then attacked the hors d'oeuvres as people arrived.

This guy asked me, 'What is your name?'

Haha not Aussiefied! Angmohs (or even Aussiefied people) always ask, 'How are you?', 'How is the [food name]?', 'Hi!' etc. but never 'What's yo name?'

I warmed to his Malaysianness instantly and we talked. Migrants' favorite topic is - how did you migrate to Australia? Then we'll discuss private stuff like passports. It's so weird it's funny.

After he mentioned that his wife sponsored him, I asked, 'So do you have kids?'

J: 3 girls. Are you married?

M: Nope.

J: Ah, looking?

M: Haha, funny you should ask. I was talking to my housemate last night and we decided that she would conceive a baby through a sperm donor and we'll raise the baby together.

[a pause in our conversation]

Yeah, I don't know how to answer the 'looking?' question*  and end up talking about hippie life plans which housemate and I made up one exhausted work night. ('He must think you're a lesbian,' sez housemate.)

*My other standard answer is 'always' but that is only true if it's followed by '.. , at Park Hae Jin.'


No comments: