Sunday, 4 September 2016

turning 27

for my 27th i had a joint 40s Shanghai-themed party with KW at Uncle Ming's.


we had our hair styled at L'Atelier (K's birthday gift to me).


there were yummy nibbles..


and we ordered lots of Shanghai Roller (Suntory whisky/ Johnny Walker Blue/ Laphroaig + honey and lemon). the fire burnt off the alcohol so despite the strong scent the taste was quite smooth.

video

video



my first drink was a Brown Sugar Choya. yum!


everybody dressed up. (and it was on this fateful night that Eunice introduced Chinese drama Nirvana in Fire to me. the same Nirvana which led to #这辈子睡不到王凯人生还有什么意义)

i wore the same cheongsam i wore for last year's Halloween party - which i picked up from Salvation Army.






received a Lancome Juicy Shaker :))


lots of alcohol.

afterwards when friends were quizzed on what they recall of me at the party, they only remember 'lots of alcohol in front of' me.

i think half of them forgot it's a birthday party because there was no cake.





other non-officiel celebrations -


lunch at The Governor's Table with Tiff.


and dinner + cake with housemates. (who are standing around staring at my cake.)


i bought my own cake from Bakedown Cakery. it's sad, but i hate cheap generic cakes, and nobody loves me enough to spend $100 on a cake for me.

i think i'll ask for a pastel frosting next time- this cake looks a bit.. manly for my liking.

it tastes amazing though. i ordered the Smoky Chocolate because i love tea-infused chocolate, and it was worth every cent.


surprisingly, Jen teaches in Malaysia. if i were in KL i would love to learn how to drip.


and then there were other dinners with other friends.

sometimes i half-joke that i meet some of my friends twice a year - once on my birthday and once on theirs.

still, i'm grateful that people made an effort to help me celebrate.

27 is a terror-filled number for me, and every year after it's only going to get worse.

i spent my actual birthday hiding alone in my room, refusing to eat with housemates. (the dinner + cake occurred a week later.)

and i drank a lot at the party and at the celebration with my housemates.

it's been a month since i turned 27, and i have come to terms with my age somewhat (enough to type this, not enough to not dread 28).


new life motto for my 27 y.o. life is Work hard and sleep with the one you love.

共勉之。

(世界最近都变这样了。)

No comments: